- Death Stranding 2: On the Beach
Moreover, Hideo Kojima revealed that his studio is actively working on a new action-espionage game for PlayStation, aiming to blur the lines between video games and films. The title remains undisclosed at this point.
- Rise of the Ronin and Until Dawn Remaster
Team Ninja provided an in-depth look at Rise of the Ronin, an action-packed game set in Japan’s late 19th-century Edo period. The open-world experience, slated for release on March 22 as a console exclusive for PS5, features 1-on-1 sword combat, a parry system, and promises to deliver a fresh take on historical action.
As for you horror fans out there, the Until Dawn remaster, confirmed during the event, is set to launch on PS5 and PC later in 2024. The remaster showcases enhanced graphics, and development is entrusted to Ballistic Moon.
- Rise of the Ronin and Capcom’s Dragon’s Dogma2
Stellar Blade, an action game from developer Shift Up and published by Sony Interactive Entertainment, received an extensive deep dive. The game, scheduled for release on April 26, 2024, unfolds in an apocalyptic Earth where humans have sought refuge in a colony. Protagonist Eve and her companions, Adam and Lily, engage in stylish action combat against mech-like enemies and hostile survivors using guns and swords.
Capcom, not to be left out, shared another thrilling trailer for Dragon’s Dogma 2, slated for release on March 22. The medieval fantasy action game promises a gripping adventure and will be available on PS5, PC, and Xbox Series X.
- Unexpected (yet pleasanty) Surprises: Sonic x Shadow Generations and Silent Hill Spin-off
SEGA delighted fans with the announcement of Sonic x Shadow Generations, an enhanced remaster of Sonic Generations featuring new content with Shadow the Hedgehog added as a playable character. The game is set to launch in Autumn 2024 on various platforms, including PS4, PS5, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and PC.
In a surprise move, Konami unveiled Silent Hill: The Short Message, a free-to-play spin-off available for play immediately after the State of Play. Additionally, a new trailer for the Silent Hill 2 remake project was showcased, generating much anticipation for its release in 2024.
- Other Highlights: Judas, V Rising, Dave the Diver, Zenless Zone Zero, and More
- Ken Levine, the creator of BioShock, revealed a vibrant and dystopian trailer for his next game, Judas, a first-person combat experience set in a colorful yet dark world.
- V Rising, an isometric action game with Diablo vibes, is confirmed to arrive on PlayStation 5 in 2024.
- Dave the Diver, a surprise hit in 2023, is set to make its way to PlayStation this April, featuring an unexpected collaboration with Godzilla in May.
- Zenless Zone Zero, Hoyoverse’s latest game, is in development for PlayStation 5.
- A new VR experience, Metro Awakening VR, brings players to the virtual reality world of Metro, set before the events of Metro 2033.
- Urban Wolf Games announced Legendary Tales, a PS VR2 game offering first-person gameplay with magic, swords, hammers, bows, and more in a fantastical setting.
Closing Thoughts on State of Play and Upcoming PS5 Titles
The January 2024 State of Play proved to be a significant event for PlayStation enthusiasts, offering a diverse array of gaming experiences. With Death Stranding 2, Rise of the Ronin, and a plethora of surprises, Sony continues to reinforce the PS5’s strong position in the gaming landscape. As gamers eagerly await the release of these titles, the State of Play event has set the stage for an exciting year ahead, reaffirming Sony’s commitment to delivering compelling content for its gaming community. You can watch the whole January 2024 State of Play show right here for all of the amazing trailers and announcement: