When I started my first day of college in 2017, there was no way on earth I could have imagined that I would be graduating just three years later and be sent into the world to secure my first big boy job, in the middle of a pandemic!
The summer of 2020 was one of the weirdest times of recent human history with the whole entire world coming to a standstill. All sports events came to a halt, some of my favorite restaurants went out of business, and Bay Area traffic ceased to exist. Not to mention the overwhelming fear of dying, I had no ideal blueprint on how to navigate the job market landscape and launch my career successfully.
A little more than a year later, I am six months into my dream role as an Associate Account Strategist, here at Media Cause, and I’d love to share some of the questions I asked myself during my journey along with some tips to help those who are interested in a career in digital marketing.
Questions to Ask Yourself When Looking for Opportunities
- Do you believe in their mission?
- As much as companies are looking for their best fit candidates for various roles, you should also make sure that you are looking for companies that meet your own criteria as well. Do you align yourself with their mission and the work they do? This is an important question to ask yourself early on in your career searching process, because you ultimately want to find yourself at a place that makes you happy.
- Are there opportunities for growth?
- One of my favorite parts of working at Media Cause is the various growth opportunities. From team-led skill development training to having possible paths to role specialties in the area of your interest, the number of growth opportunities at a company should be at the forefront of your mind when you’re evaluating your digital marketing career options.
How to be Successful Once You Land Your Dream Role
- One of the most important things to do when you finally start your career in digital marketing is to ask meaningful questions. And yes, the saying is true, there is no such thing as a dumb question. Acquiring such eagerness and curiosity in the early stages of your role can help you not only grow more comfortable but also help you fill any potential learning gaps you may encounter in a fast-paced environment.
- Take time to check in with yourself, whether that’s spiritually or physically.
- Due to the fact that I got hired during the height of the coronavirus pandemic, my career as a digital marketing professional started remotely. As much as I love what I do, I found it very helpful to establish a steady routine of taking a break in the middle of the day to either take a walk or meditate. These little acts of self-care helped me maintain a comfortable base level of sanity. Even if you work in an office, just a few minutes away from your workplace and taking some time to get some fresh air or meditate can really help you maintain a healthy mental state.
- Be on time/prepared
- Your first impression is everything. You want to make sure that your team members can recognize you as a dependable person that is not only always on time but is also always prepared.
- Be on time for every meeting, take notes, and ask inquisitive questions.
- Mentor someone
- Now is the time to remember all of the people that helped you get to where you are today. Every bit of advice, whether good or bad, has helped to shape who you are at this very moment. Be appreciative of your journey and start to think about how you can give back. Mentoring not only helps build your network, but it also helps build your credibility. Just like in school, you don’t really know if you know a subject until you can teach it to a peer.
- Have an optimistic attitude
- Don’t fall victim to cynicism. Approach every situation with an open mind and use it as an opportunity for growth.
- And lastly, don’t be afraid to take a leap of faith and learn something new.
The post Getting My Dream Job as a Digital Marketer in a Pandemic appeared first on Media Cause.