International Women’s Day is on March 8th, 2022, and it’s a time to reflect on the state of women and girls worldwide, how current events may make violence and abuse even worse than they were, and how to move forward by empowering each other.
Today’s guest is Vesna Jaric, the Interim Chief of the UN Trust Fund to End Violence Against Women. Listen to the episode to learn about Vesna’s role at the Trust Fund and how current events affect the state of women and girls around the world.
Topics Discussed in This Episode:
- Vesna’s role at the UN Trust Fund to end Violence Against Women
- The state of women and girls around the world
- How the pandemic has exacerbated violence against women
- The universality of violence against women
- How the organizations the UN Trust Fund is supporting has stepped in for women and girls
- The lagging of representation and resources for organizations that address violence against women
- How to increase resources for organizations that help women and girls
- How listeners can follow the research that Vesna is involved in
“So far, the fund has supported more than 600 organizations in 140 countries and territories across the world.”
“I would argue that violence against women and girls is probably the oldest and most persistent problem the world is dealing with.”
“Women’s rights organizations have been the first responders.”
The post The sgENGAGE Podcast Episode 224: Women’s Rights: Remaining Obstacles and the Path Ahead first appeared on npENGAGE.